Saturday, May 19, 2012

Viking Fest Road Race

I started running when I was 12 years old, mostly 3 miles runs on my own.  I trained with the cross country team for a summer in high school, but got overwhelmed and never ran a race.  In 2008 I ran my first race, a fun run 5K on Thanksgiving.
Last spring/summer I started training for a 1/2 marathon.  At the same time we were trying to get pregnant, so I figured if one goal wasn't met the other one would be.  And so...we had our Tori. Since she was born I still can't get my eyes off running goals, and so I'm working up to it, although it may be next summer when Tori is weened that I shoot for any of the BIG races.
Today I participated in my 2nd race, the Viking Fest 5 mile road race.  These pictures are all from todays race.  I was pretty fun pushing myself to make this goal and I'm glad I did it.  I've been training at 9 minute miles so I was super excited when I came across the finish line at 41 min 52 sec.  Still not quite where I'd like to be eventually, but I'll take it at less than 4 months after my baby was born.
We didn't get any pictures of them, but Ryan and the kids were there cheering me on.  They've been a big support especially Ryan watching the kids while I was training and racing.  Thanks!

5 comments:

Angela said...

Awesome job Crystal!

Marisa Jean said...

Crystal, you look freaking AMAZING!!! And the ability to run at all after only 4 months, let alone, such fast miles. Dang girl. You're one hot mama! Nice work!

Janell H. said...

That is WAY good, Crystal!!! I'm so impressed. You are way faster than me....I'm more of a slow and steady runner :) And just a mere handful of months after having a baby, too!! My first half is scheduled for November, but I am up to 10.5 miles so far...it takes a long time to run that distance.

Adam and Dinae Pitcher said...

WoW Crystal,
You're Amazing! Already running 5 miles after a baby. And....you want to run a 1/2 marathon. That's definitely not for me. I'll stick to 5 and 10k's. I wish we lived closer too and could run together. You look great and have a super cute family.

Teresa said...

Faster than your 9 min. mile. Way to go! I'm glad you have always enjoyed running and that you have supportive friends and family (many of them runners as well). Take care of yourself and hang on to your goals and dreams. It looks like you will exceed all your own expectations. Enjoy!