Monday, January 25, 2010

Home Improvement

So, over the last few weeks Ryan has been busy with A LOT of home improvement projects. Sadly most of the work we can't really show off because it's behind the scenes.
1. The sewer line:

We've had several sewer problems since moving into the new house. One of which left us without a toilet for a day and a half. Turns out we have TONS of roots in our sewer line. Ryan decided to fix the problem once and for all, the less expensive way.


He dug the sewer line up himself, had the plumber come put in new pipe, and then covered it back up.

Saved us thousands of dollars in plumbing bills and made for one sore Ryan.

2. The attic insulation:

After observing that on cold days every other house in the neighborhood had frost on the roof but ours we decided to stop paying to heat the outside and put more insulation in our attic. It was a cold raining day and while Cassia was taking a nap I went in the shed to "feed" the insulation machine and Ryan went into the attic to blow the insulation. I WISH I would've got pictures of this. Ryan and I were both covered from head to toe in this gray dust of insulation. The worst was it getting into your eyes and mouth. Yuck! Ryan and I got most of it done that afternoon and then the next day the missionaries came and helped Ryan finish the rest.

3. The Range Hood:
Before: You'll notice in this picture there is a small fan that acts as the range hood. Most likely this thing is 50+ years old, so we decided it was time for an upgrade.

After: It took some sawing and rewiring and we have this new range hood. Sadly, the design in the kitchen makes it so the range hood and the oven are slightly off from each other. Hopefully it's only something I notice.

4. The shower:
Ryan worked on this project while I was in Virginia. He spent 2 1/2 evenings working on it before he flew out to join us in Virginia and then 2 more evenings once we got back. Let me just say, I am thankful for showers. Baths are really not my thing.
Before: Notice that green thing off to the side, yeah, that's our old shower wall. Composed of ugly green plastic tiles, some of which would fall off randomly. Something had to be done.
After: A new shower wall. We still need to do a little work to get it looking super nice, but it's much improved from the green.
Thanks Ryan for all your hard work to get this old house in better shape, and thank you Housing Tax Refund for financing it all. Our next big adventure: upgrading windows.

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow...that is a lot. Those projects always take so long. I am impressed! :)

Hotel Hancock Happenings said...

Everything looks great! Good job guys. But I dunno if a pregnant woman should be doing insulation, Crystal, lol. Love all of the secret nooks and hiding places in your house.

Marisa Jean said...

Holy crap--you guys have been busy. I hate dealing with insulation. Pain in the $@#, even if it does help with bills.

And I'm loving the shower. Man, you guys are really go-getters. I've pretty much been sitting on my toosh. Maybe I should kick it into high-gear so my house can have some improvement, too.

Mindy said...

Wow, what a lot of work! This is what we have to look forward to someday... :) Steve helped my brother do insulation over Christmas break. That is something I definately do NOT look forward to.

Lindsey said...

Way to go! I'm totally impressed. Someday maybe I will have a house Blaine has to dig some plumbing for...sigh...

Lucy and Landon said...

Wow those are quite the projects! Good thing ryan is so handy. Our old apt in logan had roots growing in the sewer line too that's why we had so many plumbing issues. Glad you got it taken care of.

Alicia Steere said...

WOW! Good job guys!!! :)

Adam and Dinae Pitcher said...

Nice job Ryan! To bad I wasnt around to help. Insulation and sewer could be projects for us in the future too.