Today marks a year since Ryan's dad passed away. I'm am amazed at how fast the time has gone and how much has happened in that little time. There have been so many times in the past year that I have missed him. I'm sure Ryan misses him everyday.
We had the chance to spend some time with him during his final weeks of life. Those days keep playing back in my mind. I'll never forget watching Ryan say goodbye to his Dad when we had to leave. It was heartbreaking. Makes me sick just to think about it now. Ryan and his Dad were always the best of friends.
During that visit Ryan's Dad told me that he wasn't so sure about me marrying Ryan and stealing his buddy, but that he was really glad that I did. He said that I really was a part of their family. Ryan's Dad was never one to say sweet sappy things, so I will cherish those tender words forever.
I don't really have words to say what's in my heart today. A lot of sadness, a lot of gratitude to have known such a great man, and some hope for the eternities. We miss you Dad. We wish you were with us. I'm glad we'll be able to see you again someday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thank you, Crystal, for writing your tender feelings. It meant a lot to me as I have been remembering so much that happened a year ago this week. I feel, just like Dad did, that we are so blessed to have you in our family, knowing that you are loving and caring for our special son and grandchildren like you do. I speak for both Dad and I when I say we love you, very much!
- Mom Whittier
Has it honestly been a year already? The hard part about death is that the pain never really goes away, or at least it's been that way for me. I hope you'll continue to keep him memory alive.
Crystal, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I did not have the opportunity to see Ryan's parents as much as I would have liked to, but I will always be grateful that they have entered your life and enriched it. It is surprising what will make us reflect on past experiences or feelings of those that have passed. Something as small as my returning to school made me miss my mother and feel sad that I could not have an interchange of words about what I was doing with my life. I know she would want to tell me she is amazed at how much education we have in our family, but specifically, I know she would tell me she is happy for me and loves me. Those are the words I miss the most. And just sharing with her what is going on in my life and her being happy about it.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment