So, I'm kind of in need of some advice, really from anyone who has experience staying home all day long with a small child. Here's my dilemma. I'm sure my situation and feelings are not unique.
When I was working part-time from home and taking care of Cassia I was always working when she was napping and working on chores around the house while she was awake. Now that I'm not working my house stays in really good shape. I have some house work to keep me busy, but not enough that it equals the time she's napping (thank goodness since I hate housework anyway). I've always thrived on being productive and accomplishing things, but without the NEED for me to accomplish things I find myself lacking motivation to do things. I'm not sure what I do when I'm not being productive, but whatever it is it makes me feel very blah...
I've also realized with my extra time that I get a lot more lonely than I did when I was working. I've never been super outgoing and I feel stupid trying to call people up and plan things. It's like, "hi, can you come over to play?" Feels weird to me.
I just feel so new to this full-time stay-at-home mom thing and I wonder if I'm missing something everyone else already has figured out. If you have any advice please let me know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Make a list of things you would like to be able to do and then do them. For example, if you always wanted to learn about photography, then check out books or read articles and then practice. This has helped me a lot and I hope that this helps you.
I always have to have some sort of project to work on--anything from organizing pictures, to trying to learn Russian, to sewing...to whatever. I just have to have something or I go crazy when I'm at home a lot. Sometimes I even have multiple projects going at once, which may not be very productive on any of them, but that way I don't get bored with one particular thing.
I don't think I'm going to be much help, because we're pretty boring:) I also just do a lot of housework, but lately I've started reading again. It's nice to kindof feel like you have something for yourself. We also go on walks and luckily there are some other kids around that play outside, so we just go out and join them. I'm sure it will get a little bit easier as they get a little older and can color, or just perhaps entertain themselves a little bit more. If Cassia is anything like Alexis, she's always right by my side, looking for me to entertain her. She could care less about her toys. Good luck!
Hey, I don't know if this will help, or not, but it's helped me keep my sanity (somewhat)... Lily hasn't been taking naps for about a year now, so my days are always pretty darn busy... I just like to have plenty of places to go during the week so I stay entertained and she never gets bored staying at home. She has always been a "go" baby, and recently we like to just take Lily to a wide open place and let her got at it w/her wheel chair. Usually I will have 3 days a week when I stay home and do housework, but I feel the same way, it's not very fulfilling. And it doesn't always have to be a play date to keep her happy, she loves it when I fill her pool up with water and bubbles and we play catch, or we swing, or whatever, she just likes being outside. And there are a lot of days now, that I just feel way to sick to want to do anything, but then that gets her in a bad mood too, so I force myself to do something. But anyways, I hope my rambling helps a little bit, lol. We love you and think about you and your family so much.
Online gambling.
I'm kidding of course. I stayed home with Parker for a year before he went to kindergarten. Though I had work in the evenings I did have some of the same feelings about my time during the day. I wasn't sure what to do with myself during the times he was asleep or occupied. I feel like you got a lot of good advice about how to keep the two of you entertained, but for those times where it's just you, you have to focus on something that matters to you. What that is only you can know.
Just because you are focused primarily on your family doesn't mean you can't have real and significant secondary focuses.
Your not alone! There was a lot of good advice already given but mine is a little different. Are you ready? Brace yourself....It's time for another one! HaHaHa I crack myself up.
No seriously, I feel the same way. That's probably why I started cake decorating. But at the moment I have no time for myself but I'm sure I'll rejoin you when the kids get on the same nap schedule.
Good Luck!
p.s. you guys are cute parents.
I loved all of the advice. Chrystal thanks for posting this. I have been wondering the same thing. We miss you guys. I am not private anymore so you or anyone else can check us out. Teddy is growing like crazy. You guys are awesome.
Thanks for not losing faith in my blogging! Hopefully I'll be better at keeping up this time. We're not in a schedule yet, plus I have a lot of unpacking to do. But when I was at home waiting for Jamie to come without a job or anything I found that making lists helped me feel like I accomplished things. Maybe that's nerdy, but I used my planner from school and made a list of things I wanted to work on that day...hobbies, projects, cleaning, etc. Crossing stuff of the list when I got it done was really satisfying. :) So there you have my expert advice. Good luck. Miss you guys.
Post a Comment