Monday, August 31, 2009

Blackberries

Anyone who knows Western Washington knows that it's famous for blackberries. I had heard this before we moved, but I had no idea what it meant. Any place that hasn't been plowed over by some tracker probably has blackberry bushes. They are a weed out here.


We've taken full advantage of this berry invested area. There's a big patch right behind our apartment complex. Ryan climbs in there, disturbing deer as he goes, and fights the bush (which has huge thorns) for it's berries.


Once in awhile Cassia and I will go out and grab some that are growing through the fence and enjoy a fresh berry snack. She loves them!




We (okay, Ryan) has also made some blackberry freezer jam. He loves making jam and syrup and said to me one day, "I think we'll do a lot of canning in our lives". Good for him, if it was just me I probably wouldn't be motivated enough for all that.


We need to make some blackberry dessert sometime too. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Marisa Jean said...

Those look heavenly. I know Jonathan loves making pies and tarts with fresh berries. Or yummy smoothies. Or homemade ice cream...mmm... maybe I should move there. I actually didn't know they were so prevalent (spelling?). Enjoy them!

Janell H. said...

Oh YUM! Blackberries rock! I would go crazy making blackberry & banana & yogurt smoothies, for sure. What a cool thing to be famous for.

Tracey said...

COBBLER!!!!!! YUM!!!! yes, definitely make some blackbery cobbler...it's divine!! You should also freeze some in berry form, so you can use them during the winter!

Whittier said...

I actually did make some Cobbler this week. I figured it was much easier than pie. It was pretty good. I'll have to try some of the smoothie ideas as well.

Lindsay said...

Looks so good. I love fresh berries! :)

Amber Hancock said...

Cassia looks so cute eating those berries. It reminds me of... do you remember that book mom had? With the little girl who's picking blackberries with her mom and she goes off on her own and finds a bear cub who's eating berries too, and then they both leave and go back to their moms? Better look out for those suckers too out in the wilds. Love you.

Adam and Dinae Pitcher said...

Lucky! You dont even have to plant the berries yourselves and you have plenty to make freezer jam! I'd be fighting the bush too Ryan. I see that you still have your goat. -adam