When I first quit my job (last May) I was very busy with moving and getting settled in our new apartment. Then I began programming my own recipe website and that was my hobby. Unfortunately when I got pregnant and was sick in my first trimester this project took a backseat to my need for naps and lack of motivation. I intend to go back to it sometime, hopefully once we all get adjusted to a new baby.
I first intended to build this website because I wanted to be more organized with recipes, grocery shopping, etc. Now my desire to build it has expanded as I have found a LOVE for cooking. It's very therapeutic for me. If I'm having a stressful day I just want to bake and it takes my mind off of it. I especially like trying new recipes.
In November, during my 2nd trimester I decided I was going to make Thanksgiving dinner from scratch. Rolls were a top priority of mine so I started practicing. I made 3 batches of rolls before thanksgiving and 2 for thanksgiving. I discovered that making bread wasn't as hard as I had anticipated and it was really fun. That's where it all began. I decided I wanted to learn to make other new things and really learn how to cook.
My first project was to get recipes from my family (mostly my mom), so I could learn to make some of the things we had once in awhile growing up. I also wanted to share with my family and any others interested recipes that I have found and love. I started a recipe blog with my parents, in-laws, and siblings. It now has 87 recipes and keeps growing all the time. I've tried to make at least half of these and had a lot of success at making new delicious things.
A month or so ago while looking at others recipe blogs I decided what was really missing on my family's blog was pictures. There's nothing like looking at a picture of what you're about to create and getting excited to try it out. I've started adding pictures to my recipes and it's been a ton of fun. Ryan finds it amusing when I go to cook and pull at the camera and start snapping shots. I'm no photographer, but I'm learning a little bit from trial and error. So far I have been able to document Chicken Puffs, Stroganoff, No-bake cookies, and Coffee Cake. I also have finish product pictures of French Bread, Cinnamon Rolls, Lumpia, BTS cake, and Pumpkin roll.

So finally after several years of encouragement I have an indoor hobby, and it's NOT knitting like Ryan always said I should do. I'm really excited about the photography side of things as well because when I finally get my website up and going I can use my own pictures. It'll be great!
Anyway, that's what I've been up to besides being a wife, mom, and pregnant. If any of you have a recipe you enjoy please send it my way. I'd love to find even more fun things to make.
5 comments:
This post is KILLING me--especially that picture of those rolls...I'm totally salivating.
Being that I am ALWAYS looking for a new recipe, I will DEFINITELY be checking out your blog. I had no idea it even existed. Thanks for the heads up!
Crystal,
I hadn't realized that you were adding pictures to your older posts. Thanks for writing this post so I could go back and see them. That's so cool! Seeing what lumpia looks like makes me want to give it a try. What a neat hobby. If you like mixing pictures with recipes you should check out this website:
www.thepioneerwoman.com/cooking
and thank you for all the awesome new videos of cassia!
Oh, wow. You should start charging visitors money! It's not a recipe blog anymore; it's an online cookbook.
Wow! Look who's the ambitious one now! Sometimes I wish I enjoyed cooking more. Often it just seems like you spend so long making something, that granted, is delicious, but it only takes minutes to eat and then it's gone. I'm glad that you found something that you really enjoy doing. It sure makes life so much more enjoyable.
Hey there's nothing wrong with knitting/crocheting!!!:):):)
I too love to cook. You should check out this recipe blog/site:
http://www.melskitchencafe.com
It has YUMMY stuff on it!
Post a Comment