Monday, September 27, 2010

Milk-Free

My life, as far as food goes, has changed dramatically in the last several weeks. Madsen has had a terrible rash on this face and body for months. Finally my doctor and Ryan convinced me that I needed to change my diet to see if it's something he's allergic to in my milk.

I started by cutting out all the likely foods (wheat, soy, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, and eggs) leaving me almost no choices of food to eat. Somehow I survived a week of that and his rash went away! I then added back in wheat and milk, which brought back his rash. So I cut the milk again and after almost 2 weeks it went away. I have since added back eggs, soy, and peanuts, with the rash staying at a minimum. Yay! I found out milk is most likely the only problem.

Now what? No milk. No ice cream! No cheese. No cottage cheese. No sour cream. No cream cheese. No butter. No margarine. No chocolate! No bread products made with milk. No anything else made with milk (which happens to be A LOT if you look at labels). No cooking with milk, butter, or margarine. To my dismay soy milk isn't that good and shortening in baking is a poor substitute. Any suggestions or good recipes you might have that are milk-free are very welcome.

My situation is temporary, although annoying. As soon as I wean my Madsen I'll no longer need to avoid these products, but is his? A lot of times kids grow out of milk allergies, but I really wonder if and how long that will take. It's a whole different world trying to find something to cook and eat when you have to avoid so many common ingredients. There are substitutes out there for many of these products, but they are EXPENSIVE and so far I'm too cheap to try anything but the milk so far. Anyway, wish me luck. The things we do for our children!

8 comments:

Tawnie said...

Crystal...I just did that for several months...it's no fun! I'm sorry!! Soon enough it will all be over and you can enjoy your cheese and ice cream again. Until then, I'll eat some extra for ya! ;) Try almond milk--I liked that better than soy.

Tracey said...

Oh snap! I am SO sorry! A friend of mine in my ward has 4 out of 5 children that are allergic to milk AND gluten. I know that she uses a dairy-free dry milk that she buys online. I can find out what it is if you're interested.

She's nursing right now too, and has to stay away from milk/dairy. Every once in awhile she does a "pump & dump day" where I think she feeds the baby using previously pumped milk, and then she eats dairy, then pumps and throws the milk away.

Good luck!!! You're a trooper!

Lindsay said...

I don't have any ideas for you, but to say good luck...that must be hard. What a good mother you are for keeping up the breastfeeding and making the sacrifice.

Marisa Jean said...

Charlotte has issues with milk, too, but milk only. I had to cut it out from the moment she was born. She's okay with cheese and butter, and I hate ice cream anyway, so that one I don't struggle with. You are a good mom--Madsen will thank you for this one day! :)

Mindy said...

Ugh! My sister went through the same thing--although her little boy is also allergic to eggs. I'll see if she has any good ideas. Good luck!!!

Adam and Dinae Pitcher said...

How sad! I'm just impressed you were able to figure out what it was. I'll keep my ears open for alternatives.

Amber Hancock said...

I remember Anita using recipes where applesauce was substituted for butter. That might be worth looking into.

Teresa said...

Hey Crystal, I have been thinking about milk. For myself I do better with some milk products than others. I eat cheese and yogurt, but usually not other milk products. Maybe Madsen is more sensitive to some than others. At least something to look into for him later. I believe Amber is right Anita used applesauce and water when making a cake mix. Mom