Friday, March 11, 2011

Allergies Part II

Several months ago I had a post about Madsen's allergies.  At the time we knew a little about what was going on from my own experimentation with different foods in my diet.  Now that Madsen is eating lots of solids (and boy can he eat!), and I'm still nursing things are really complicated.  Some of his allergies are still a mystery.

At the beginning on January Madsen went to see an allergist and was tested for the top 6 food allergies.  He was allergic to 2 of them, milk and egg.  I knew about milk, but was pretty shocked with egg one.  His milk allergy is mild (which means what exactly?) and his egg allergy is severe (meaning?), but not fatal.

Even after removing milk and now eggs completely from our diets Madsen still has his rash MOST of the time.  It's cleared up twice since Christmas...both times only for a couple days.  What the heck?  During one of these two clear up was his follow-up appointment with the Allergist, at which time the Dr. declared everything was looking really good, to continue what I was doing, and follow-up in 3 months.  The next day his rash was back.  BLAH!!

I am unimpressed with his allergist, to say the least, but turns out she's just filling in while the real allergist is on maternity leave (a very long one).  During all the time that his rash wasn't clearing up and wasn't clearing up I wasn't introducing new foods.  I had a nine-month-old big and only about 10 foods to give him.  I decided to just stop being so worried about the rash and start giving my son real food.  I've been very cautious with how often I introduce a new food, but his mild rash I don't even consider a reaction.  If anything more severe happened that's when I'd get concerned about a food.

His allergist is suppose to be back from her leave next month and he'll have his appointment with his pediatrician in a few weeks.  Hopefully I'll be able to get more answer of what and what not to feed my growing boy.  For example: How do you wean a child when they are allergic to milk?  What do you give them instead?  I haven't seen any 'whole soymilk' on the market.

On the bright side I have learned SO much about dairy-free, egg-free cooking.  It's been challenging, obnoxious, and exciting.  At first I tried to just modify my own recipe...the results were far below par.  For Christmas I got the book "Go Diary-Free".  It is so excellent!  I use it constantly.  It's taught be how to live and cook diary-free.  Luckily when we found out about Madsen's egg allergy I didn't have to change much.  The cook-book is almost all egg-free as well.  Egg-free is A LOT easier than dairy-free anyway.  In the last month or two I've started to go back to some old recipes and modify them.  This time they are turning out great.  I've learned what substitutions actually work.  It's so nice to be able to eat my old favorites.  This week I made a peanut-butter pie.  So yummy!

5 comments:

Marisa Jean said...

That's rought. :(

The only thing my kiddo has shown any allergy to is slightly to lactose, but to bananas. I read that if they have issues with bananas, they'll most likely have an issue with kiwi and avacoadoes because they are allergic to the protein in them, not the food itself.

Hang in there! I hope you find an answer! We give Charlotte goats milk, which isn't iron fortified, so we mix it with formula. I don't know if he'd be allergic to that (mixing it with soy), but it might be something to look into. I love that I act like I know what I'm talking about, but I don't have a clue. Good luck!

Amber said...

I am so sorry to hear about Madsen. I has no idea you had another one. That is wonderful. We have two as well and I love it when they play together. (In reference to your video.) I am so glad you guys are doing well. Your date idea is great as well. We miss you guys. Good luck with the allergy thing.

Janell H. said...

Rash or no rash, that Madsen is pretty cute. I hope the "real" allergist tells you something definitive. Maybe he'll just have to eat peanut butter pie for breakfast every day :)

Adam and Dinae Pitcher said...

How frustrating. But I'm just impressed you were able to figure most of it out on your own. You are such a cute mommy. You'll get the hang of things soon. Miss ya.

Tracey said...

Wow. You are a trooper! I am so sorry to hear about his allergies. I can only imagine how difficult it is when you don't know what he may or may not be allergic to! I have a friend (who cooks everything dairy free, gluten free, because of her children) what she did when she weaned her kids. I know that she orders this dairy free milk online that she uses...I'll find out what it is and let you know:)