Monday, December 1, 2008

Turkey Trot 5K

One cold Thanksgiving morning 6 crazy people decided that to get them in the holiday spirit of eating and watching football (which we didn't do, by the way), they would, of course, run 3.6 miles as quickly as their little legs would carry them.

And that's what we did! In all reality an offical 5K is 3.1 miles, but they tricked us and made us run an extra .5 miles for this one. Ryan and I set a goal early this summer that by Thanksgiving we would be in good enough shape to run a 5K and make good time. What did that mean for Ryan? Not much. What did that mean for me? A lot of hard work! To make it even more exciting we got Ryan's family involved, including his Dad who had a large cancerous tumor removed in JUNE. We all had a lot of fun and I'm so proud of his Dad.

Here are our times as best as I can remember them:
Ryan- 27:09
Crystal - 29:40
Katie (Ryan's Sister) - 39:23
Ryan's Mom: 45:14
Ryan's Dad: 45:14
Cassia: 45:12

Grandpa was gracious enough to push Cassia the whole way around the course.

Sadly most of us were somewhat sick to our stomachs the rest of the day and didn't consume as much food as is normally required for a Thanksgiving Feast. We did have a great time and maybe if we're crazy enough we'll do it again next year.

6 comments:

Kellie said...

Wow! Congrats! That's a great achievement that I don't think I'll ever do :)

Alicia Steere said...

Congrats on the race!!! I would like to do one of those someday, just to say that I did it! Cassia is so adorable, so fun to watch her grow! :)

Janell H. said...

Wow, Cassia's first 5k!
Congrats on doing so well!!

Adam and Dinae Pitcher said...

Hey- you guys bought one of those running strollers! Cool!

Hotel Hancock Happenings said...

That is awesome! Cassia looks so cozy and refreshed, lol. What an adventure. Much more active than most Thanksgivings. :)

Katie said...

Omigosh, that is one of the most hideous photos of me EVER! But it certainly sums up how I felt for the rest of the day -- hideous but victorious. Congrats to you on such a stellar time!