Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday Date Night (at home)

So maybe this will be old news to most people, but it's like a light bulb just went on for me and it's shining bright.  Ryan and I don't go out on dates much.  Our families live far away and we're too chicken and cheap to leave the kids with a babysitter except for special occasions.  A couple weeks ago I decided I'd had it and I wanted to have an official date night once a week whether or not we went out.

It's been so awesome!  I don't know if Ryan likes it quite as much as I do, but that goes for romance in general ;)  Each week we switch off turns of planning out date.  We're on week 3 tonight and I'm super excited!  After the kids go to bed our date night begins.  Here's what we've done.  Pretty simple really, but it's been fun to set aside time to court one another.

Crystal's: The first week we did a puzzle and ate popcorn with water (in wine glasses).
Ryan's: Last week we played battleship and scrabble.
Crystal's: This week I'm planning a slumber party.  We're going to get in pj's and watch old Saturday morning cartoons in sleeping bags.  I also made a chocolate-peanut-butter-pie that I can't wait to eat!

Anyway, just thought I'd share this mind boggling idea (sheesh, why didn't I think of this years ago) that you can have a date night and stay at home.  I do have every intention of getting a baby-sitter on our date night in the near future, but these dates at home are tons of fun too.

If you have any other at-home date ideas please do share.

4 comments:

Jan said...

What a wonderful inspiration! You two are so good for each other. Thank you, my sweet daughter for the many ways you bless my son's life. I love you!

-Mom W.

Marisa Jean said...

I can always tell when we've stopped dating because we get frustrated a lot more with each other. I've definitely seen a decline since having a kiddo, but I think your solution is perfect! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Teresa said...

I remember going through that stage. When many times it was more challenging to get a babysitter and what you might come home to than just staying home. I to was looking for ideas out of desperation. Actually I found at least one good book from the library that contained many fun date ideas; many that you could do at home.

Mindy said...

That's brilliant! I don't know if I could get Steve to go along with it or not, though. Our ward does a lot of babysitting swapping, which has worked out great.