I keep thinking about parenthood and how much it changes EVERYTHING!! I don’t think that is a statement anyone can really understand until they experience it themselves. I use to look at parents and assumed their lives where a little different than mine, but not that different. Boy was I wrong!
If you think back to when you were growing up everything new you learned you gained independence: riding a bike, going to school, going to sleepovers, driving a car, and finally moving out of your parents house and living life on your own.
It was 5 ½ years from the time I left home to when I got married. I had nothing to worry about, a few responsibilities with work and school, but all and all I could live my life the way I wanted. Then when I got married it wasn’t all about me; I had to work my schedule around some else, but still it was much the same just with my best friend along for the ride.
AND THEN…we had Cassia. I’ve been thinking that having a child that is totally dependent on you is like reverse independence. I have to “find time” to do things, not the big things I use to think of like going on a date with my husband with our busy schedules, but simple things: taking a shower, eating a meal, cooking a meal, sleeping for goodness sake!
As Cassia is starting to do some things on her own, like sitting up, I’ve come to another conclusion. The more independence she gains the more I do. I never thought growing up that perhaps my parents were even more excited as I gained independence than I was. Then again someone told me that the reason people have more kids is because you miss that dependent child once they learn things on their own. I defiantly haven’t hit that mark yet. I guess we’ll have to see.
It’s also interesting to me the number of body fluids that have become a part of my daily life: the spit-up, the pee, the poop, the drool. Ahhh, what a life...
In all seriousness though. Despite the difficulty of the situation and my struggle to be a normal person and be a mom, I love it. I love Cassia and taking care of her. Your kids make you smile, laugh, cry, and get upset in a way that no one else ever could.
All that from a girl who has 5.25 months experience raising a child. Whoa! I feel so experienced!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey every day is a new adventure in parenting. I'm glad to see you are enjoying the ride! :)
Post a Comment